What are you doing for home NAS?

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Sun Dec 29 17:34:57 EST 2013

I have a bit of end-of-the-year money that I'd like to spend and
thinking of a dedicated NAS device for my home rather than having hard
drives start spilling out of my basement server.  I figure I need about
4TB usable, so either 2x4TB or 4x2 or 3TB is a configuration I could
work with.

In looking at the products that are out there for standalone NAS,
they're REALLY expensive even before adding the cost of drives.  The
two-drive systems seem to be just barely adequate for my needs, and the
four-bay ones jack the price up to just going BYO ($700-$800 without
drives).  Even then, the Drobo a friend has puts its NFS server in
userspace (WTF?) so performance and features like file locking are lacking.

So I ask the question - what are you doing at home?  Build my own? Have
any device that's still for sale you can recommend?  Anyone using
FreeNAS and have suggestions?

-Mark