grep for craigslist?

David Rysdam david at rysdam.org
Tue Feb 12 08:08:15 EST 2013

I used to subscribe to the CL RSS feed. But it's a lot of junk to click
"read" on. It's even more when you realize how poorly the posters are at
putting things in the right category, so you basically have to subscribe
to everything.

For the last couple weeks, I've been just periodically, manually
searching terms and that works well...other than the fact that I'm doing
work a computer should be doing.

I'm not interested in some fly-by-night, fee-based solution. I found If
This Then That, but it doesn't seem to be running my sample recipe and
the interface is so infantilized there's no way to tell what's
wrong. But even if it worked, I'm not sure how happy I'm going to be
trusting my data and processing to a "free" service.

Surely this problem has been solved by now with some combination of
wget, a procmail-like "patterns and rules" tool and a database to track
what you've seen before.