Call for topics for Nashua's next LUG meetings

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Wed Jan 9 18:43:03 EST 2013

Mac <macdroid53 at gmail.com> writes:

> On 01/09/2013 04:35 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
> >
> > I'd be glad to talk about my weekend project building an advanced
> > whole-home audio system on the cheap using Linux computers
> > with PulseAudio, MPD, and GJay.
> >
> > Or something about one of my other projects, if they're more interesting.
>
> What other projects do you have.

I maintain a reference implementation of this:

    http://www.scribblethink.org/Work/VisualIDs/visualids.html

... including some patches for Nautilus (which may or may not apply
cleanly to the latest version...).

So I could talk about that, soem of the and ideas research behind it,
experiences with different application-domains, the toolkits
that I use in libvisualid (GLib and Cairo) and why, what it took to hook it
into different applications....

I became the maintainer for this about 2 years ago:

    http://www.foxtrotgps.org/

So I guess I could talk about managing (or taking over) a smallish
FOSS project, dealing with contributions (both helpful and unhelpful),
etc.

I've spent a fair amount of time hacking on StatusNet over the last year,
along with running a few small StatusNet sites.

After I built the home audio system, my wife wanted me to make
a portable version for her, so I ported (the relevant parts of)
the system to run on OpenWRT and put together a firmware-image for
the Qi Hardware Nanonote <http://en.qi-hardware.com/wiki/Ben_NanoNote>.
(`the relevant parts' are obviously not the `whole-home' part,
 but are things like ReplayGain and dynamic-range compression,
 intelligent playlist-generation, scripting MPD; Ogg Vorbis vs.
 MP3....)

> I could discuss my tri-amp audio system implemented using Jack and
> FOSS DSP crossover, eq, and metering.

You've got my attention. :)