Windows 8 (or, more likely, UEFI) warning.

Brian Chabot brian at datasquire.net
Sun Jan 13 13:57:19 EST 2013

UEFI is why I switched to Fedora.  It was the only distro at the time that
supported UEFI out of the box, and even then, it was a little clunky.

On Sun, Jan 13, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Ken D'Ambrosio <ken at jots.org> wrote:

> Wouldn't boot to Linux.  Well, okay.  Let's try Windows 8.  Wouldn't
> boot to *Windows*.  First it tried to do a repair of some sort -- failed
> miserably.  Then it wouldn't get further than the "Dell" splash screen.
> Eventually wound up disabling UEFI secure boot, which allowed it to go
> into Windows -- whereupon I gave it back to the by-now very nervous
> laptop owner, and let the damn WiFi be.

Lucky you!

I bought a new system from Best Buy (I know, I know...) and tried to dual
boot it to Mandriva.  Somehow I ended up bricking it.

Bottom line -- I think we, as Linux weenies, are gonna have to play
> with damn UEFI and get a feel for it.  Is it uniform across vendors?

Yes, we will.  Right now, I know of no decent boot editor utilities and
none at all that run from within Linux.

> Can I always go for the "disable secure boot" option (which would,
> presumably, allow me to boot Linux)?

I think that may be vendor specific and possibly even windows installation
specific.

 At the moment UEFI documentation is junk.  Cross
platform implementation is even worse.

Brian