Windows 8 (or, more likely, UEFI) warning.

Bruce Labitt bdlabitt at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 13:32:29 EST 2013

I'm confused about UEFI.  So let me ask a couple of basic questions.

1.  If UEFI is the "boot up system" does this mean that if I buy a modern
"Runs on Windows 8" high end mother board i7 + gpu and a blank hard drive
(SSD) I can't install linux distros at all?  Or distros with kernel < 3.0?
or ?

2.  Why would motherboard manufacturers do this?  Don't they sell world
wide where there other OS's?  Please  don't launch into a flame-fest, I'm
merely curious as to what the motivation would be for the mfgrs behavior.

3.  If 1 is true, what are the 'grass-roots' aka 'cheap' work a rounds ?
     a. wait and use less modern stuff <-- not desirable
     b. magic incantations / offerings   <-- possible
     c. Subject for a GNHLUG meeting ?  Local expert?

At some point I need to modernize my computing platforms to get into GPU
computing, so I'd like to get a lot more capable machine.  I am still
harboring the fantasy that it is still possible to "assemble one's own
desktop computer" running linux.  Is it still possible?  Or are those days
over?

Bruce