Nashua's NHLUG meeting has been bumped 1 day to Wednesday

Peter Dobratz peter at dobratz.us
Sat Jan 26 23:03:50 EST 2013

On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 11:38 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen
<rozzin at geekspace.com>wrote:

> chris gagnon <chris.gagnon at makeitlabs.com> writes:
> >
> > Topic: Joshua Rosen will be talking about taking over an maintaining
> > an open source project <http://www.foxtrotgps.org/> and GPS
>
> And, to be clear: I will *not* just be talking about how awesome a job
> I've done..., because I've definitely made some notable mistakes.
> I *will* spend time on `how you can make it easy for upstream to accept
> your patches so that you can stop having to maintain them locally',
> so you may well want to attend even if you don't have any interest
> in being an upstream yourself.
>
> > http://makeitlabs.com/about/map/
> > MakeIt Labs is actually located on the backside of the building at 29
> > Crown St. and can be a bit tricky to find. To get here, you will need
> > to pass the place the GPS says we are at by at least 200 yards. Take a
> > right onto the tree lined dirt road after Greenerd Press. The dirt
> > road turns right to the train yard and MakeIt Labs parking lot.
>
> Yes--especially at night, it can be extremely non-obvious that you just
> have to go a little further East down Crown St. before you'll find the
> mouth of the long dirt driveway (which /does/ have a little `MakeIt Labs'
> sign where you might otherwise be unsurrised to find a residential-style
> mailbox, IIRC). If you find yourself at something like *29B* Crown St.,
> it's because you went in the wrong driveway and want the next one to the
> East.
>
> Also (since I previously missed this, myself) note the very specific
> lat/lon coordinates:
>
>     42.760027, -71.445894

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=42.75491&lon=-71.45286&zoom=17&layers=M
I think I should add a mention of the OpenStreetMap project to this
thread.  It seems particularly relevant since FoxtrotGPS uses data from
OpenStreetMap and the above descriptions of how to get to MakeIt Labs seem
like they are really wanting for a very detailed map.  OpenStreetMap is
only as detailed and accurate as the volunteer contributors want to make
it.  I've been adding a lot of details to the map in southern NH, though I
have not yet made it to this part of Nashua.  I'd love to have more people
using their local knowledge to make the map of NH better, and I would be
happy to answer any questions about contributing to or using the
OpenStreetMap data.