MacOS/Samba not playing nice

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Wed Jul 3 09:39:52 EDT 2013

Resist the temptation to go mixed mode NFS/CIFS for your shares.  Go all
one path as the permissions almost never map properly.  I'd start with
what Ben recommended and look at the 'force directory mode' setting on
the server first.  Making changes there will be a lot easier than
changing every OS X box, and changing it every time a new system shows up.

If that doesn't work, go NFS, but do it on the Windows systems as well.

-Mark