MacOS/Samba not playing nice

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Wed Jul 3 10:35:42 EDT 2013

On 7/3/2013 10:28 AM, Ben Scott wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 9:39 AM, Mark Komarinski <mkomarinski at wayga.org> wrote:
>> I'd start with what Ben recommended and look at the 'force directory mode'
>> setting on the server first.  Making changes there will be a lot easier than
>> changing every OS X box, and changing it every time a new system shows up.
>    Ah.  Good point.  I was thinking it would be "better" to configure
> the client properly, but I'm used to a managed environment where IT
> actually configures and administers the clients, too.  I had forgotten
> that a lot of shops are basically a free-for-all on the client side.
> :-)

Even if I configured every end user system that went out*, I'd rather
fix it (if possible) on the server side rather than have another item on
the list of things I'd have to do in a client setup.

-Mark

* 5000+ users, some wandering in for a day/week/month, many doing Bring
Your Own Laptop...yeah, we had little control over the kinds of systems
that came in