MacOS/Samba not playing nice

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Mon Jul 8 10:33:39 EDT 2013

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 10:25 AM, Chip Marshall <chip at 2bithacker.net> wrote:

> On 2013-07-03, Tom Buskey <tom at buskey.name> sent:
> > Another approach would be to use NFS for MacOSX and see how
> > that works. NFS is more native to Linux & Macintosh than CIFS.
>
> If you're going to set up another file sharing protocol just for
> Mac OS X clients, why not go with Netatalk and support AFS?

NFS is built in to Unix.   NFS is more supported by client systems as well
so you can consolidate a bit.  Since the use case is wide open permissions,
you don't have to worry about permissions as much.  SMB does much finer
grain ACL permissions and it's harder to map.  I think AFS is too.

AFS is more alien on a Unix server then Samba.  There are/is an AFS client
for Windows, but I don't know of one for Linux.  Back in the day with
Appletalk, the protocols were fairly chatty as well.

If you want to explore more protocols, things like SSHFS or WebDAV could be
used with varying success.  I've done sshfs on Linux and via swish on
windows.  I think it can be used on MacOSX, but I wouldn't recommend it.