Crowdfunding an Ubuntu smartphone (right now)

Peter M. Petrakis peter.petrakis at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 10:02:42 EDT 2013

On 07/30/2013 07:33 AM, David Rysdam wrote:
> Joshua Judson Rosen <rozzin at geekspace.com> writes:
>> Just in case not everybody saw this on Slashdot already:
>>
>>      http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge
>>
>>      "The Ubuntu Edge is the next generation of personal computing:
>>       smartphone and desktop PC in one state-of-the-art device."
>
> I was already skeptical based on Shuttleworth being involved and it
> costing $800, but that video easily pushed me over the edge.
>
> He literally comes out and says we are a testbed for his production
> facility...but still wants us to pay almost a grand a head for the
> privilege. Don't Formula One drivers get paid? Which one of us is the
> millionaire, here?

If you're committed enough to spend $800 for the opportunity
to be able to influence or get ahead of the next great multi-device
(and a kick ass one at that) OS then it's worth it. If you're an enthusiast
with money to burn, heck why not, I mean who doesn't brag about their phone?

Well, I don't because it's a moto krzr with paint chipping. But, replacement
batteries cost $5!

Since it is a convergence device e.g. it can replace your desktop,
laptop "shells" can't be that far down the road, $800 bucks isn't that bad
especially when you compare it to something like the mac mini which starts
at $599; I can't put a mac mini in my pocket.

Andriod fragmentation is a big deal, once a phone is released the chances
of it being upgraded to the next API platform are slim, hardware enablement
is expensive and well, they've already sold it to you, so there's really
no financial incentive to spend money on the past when they could be spending
it on the next line up.

http://opensignal.com/reports/fragmentation.php
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/144804-google-attempts-to-stymie-android-fragmentation-by-locking-down-the-android-sdk

Disclaimer: I'm a Canonical employee, I don't work on phone.

Peter