Presention software?

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Fri Jun 7 12:52:52 EDT 2013

I should have mentioned up front that I'd already actually
looked at S5 and decided against it. It looks like a good tool
for doing what it does, but what it does isn't what I want
(as far as I can tell from the examples). The same goes
for impress.js.

I don't want my in-person presentation to revolve around me
*reading the content of the slides* to my audience; I've always
hated watching other peoples presentations that are done like
that--I find myself asking `why are both of us wasting our time
with me sitting here waiting for you to finish reading the slides
to me when I could just read them myself?'. It always seems
like we could save an hour (multiplied by the number of people
at those presentation!) if we all just read the slides ourselves
and then convened afterward for *just the Q&A* portion....

I want to put together something more like, I guess, this
`remedies for frustration' presentation by Martin Pool:

    https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1awg1CHM1w128iOBp_JOxE2DgHfywBeyjDe2bkx1vfVQ/edit?pli=1#slide=id.p

... or a presentation that Larry Lessig gave but that I can't
find right now.

The slides are just illustrations for text/speech; rather than
the text/speech being `narration for the slides'.

But:

    * when I give the talk in person, I need notes (outside
      of the slides) to guide me through the topics.
      I might as well store those *in the presentation*
      somehow, even though they'll be *outside the slides*.

    * When I post it on my website, I'll the `notes'
      or narration will *need* to be included in the
      packaged presentation, otherwise the slides won't
      make any sense.

Ideally, because of the `slides as illustrations for the speech
vs. speech as narration for the slides' issue, I'd like to have
slide-sequences subordinate to notes rather than the other way
around--because there are some things where I'd really prefer
to be able to flip through several slides for a single paragraph
(or even sentence) of speech.

(for example, 3 slides for "Powerpoint is.... Hurting. Communication.")

It looks like some of the Emacs org-mode-based options might
allow for that (not sure yet); is there *anything* [else?]
that will actually give me what I want? If not, how close
can I get?

Alternately: I heard someone say, a while back, that `Tufte
should realise that, good or bad, Powerpoint has one--so
it's time to stop hating and start *co-opting*'. But how?