Printer recommendations

Randy Edwards redwards at golgotha.net
Thu Mar 7 14:44:32 EST 2013

> I am in need of a printer and was wondering if the gnlug would have
> recommendations.

   I just replaced a multifunction unit on my home LAN just yesterday, opting
for a Samsung CLX-4195FW.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008HSJ0I0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16828112377

   One reason I opted for it was that I wanted it to generic and the printing
has to work with Linux. While I haven't tested out the scanning (it'll scan to
e-mail) and a lot of its functions yet, the copier, sheet feed, and color
printing works fine.

   The unit has a web interface, but the networking (either wireless or
Ethernet) and setup can be set up via its touchscreen. I was surprised that it
included some GNU/Linux stuff/drivers on a CD but I haven't bothered with that.
Once the IP was set on the printer Debian's CUPS detected it just fine and it
works great with the generic PostScript driver.

 .
 Randy

--
"At the constitutional level where we work, ninety percent of any decision is
emotional. The rational part of us supplies the reasons for supporting our