Printer recommendations

Greg Rundlett (freephile) greg at freephile.com
Thu Mar 7 15:51:07 EST 2013

Note: There is a big difference between InkJet and Laser printing.

I opted for the Samsung SCX-4623FW Series over two years ago (and although
discontinued, is available today for ~$240).  I offer this info for
reference, since my  model is only Black/White. I bought it at Sam's Club.
 It has delivered in terms of speed, reliability and sharpness/quality.
 The scanning just works (using SimpleScan in Ubuntu) if I'm connected via
USB, although it doesn't work wirelessly (or at least I don't know how to
do it).  I haven't tried the fax, but copy and wireless functionality seem
great.

I just had to do my first laser toner cartridge replacement and the cost
wasn't too bad (about $70) given that it lasted perfectly through 2,500
sheets of paper.  That's less than 3 pennies / page or less than $35 / year
in toner.

I'd say that Samsung supports us Linux users since at least for my model,
they provide a driver right on their product website.

Greg Rundlett