gps recommendations?

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Sat May 18 11:49:21 EDT 2013

David Rysdam <david at rysdam.org> writes:

> On Fri, 17 May 2013 23:38:28 -0400, Joshua Judson Rosen <rozzin at geekspace.com> wrote:
> >
> > Someone wrote a chapter for the FoxtrotGPS manual specifically about this,
> > including some perhaps non-obvious recommendations on the most effective
> > way to plan a route so as to help your satnav unit navigate in adherence
> > to your `route backbone' without confusing it:
> >
> >         http://www.foxtrotgps.org/doc/foxtrotgps.html#Route-Planning
>
> Well, this is helpful, unhelpful and then helpfully unhelpful.
>
> Helpful: Those are indeed some good terms to use to find other people
> who want the same thing.
>
> Unhelpful: But the proposed solutions are still planning routes by
> constraining vertices, not edges.
>
> Helpfully unhelpful: But maybe what this proves is that no GPS has ever
> heard "it's the journey, not the destination".

I think the point of Tilmann's notes in the FoxtrotGPS manual is that
`the vertices *are* the edges', e.g.:

    * Do not set your waypoints on crossings. Instead, set them on the
      road between crossings.

(and, now I notice that we should probably change those notes to ay
 "routepoint" rather than "waypoint"...)

>From what I've read about satnav units that support creating routepoints
offline, using just the software *on the device*, it seems like their
UIs typically do have that klunky worldview that the only routepoints
you'd be interested in setting are waypoints/POI where you'll want to
stop (and visit, and re-visit--some of them actually appear to require
that you save a waypoint into the POI database and then pull it up via
search before you can set a route through it...).

Even if you can't find an off-the-shelf satnav unit that does interactive
routeplanning straightforwardly like you want (like Tilmann's feature
in FoxtrotGPS does, I think), or a `handheld GNU/Linux super-satnav'
device, you might still be able to, say, use your N810 to program
routes into your Garmin when you're on the road..., maybe?