OpenWRT Linux routers (was: Backdoor in D-Link routers)

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Tue Oct 15 22:35:25 EDT 2013

Joshua Judson Rosen <rozzin at geekspace.com> writes:

> In case you didn't hear, there has apparently been a back door
> in D-Link routers for the last several years:
>
>     http://www.devttys0.com/2013/10/reverse-engineering-a-d-link-backdoor/
>
> Maybe it's a good time to upgrade to something like OpenWRT....

And, on that note....

I've been playing with OpenWRT on these, recently:

        http://www.data-alliance.net/servlet/-strse-667/Alfa-AP121U-802.11n-AP-fdsh-Router/Detail

AP121U from ALFA Network (not to be confused with *Alpha Networks*,
which is the D-Link subsidiary apparently responsible for inserting that
back door...). Decent little system for $55 (pre-loaded w/ OpenWRT; less
with some unknwon factory firmware; under $30 for the `dev board' model
without the nice packaging): Wi-Fi, 2 ethernet interfaces, nice
programmable blue LEDs, USB host port..., more RAM than the former
desktop machine I had running router duty until recently. Same hardware
as the Wi-Fi Pineapple guys are using for their Mk4 hardware platform.

Full (nerdly) description of the hardware at the OpenWRT wiki:

    http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/alfa.network/hornet-ub

--
"'tis an ill wind that blows no minds."