sound over VNC to osx?

David Rysdam david at rysdam.org
Sat Sep 21 21:07:46 EDT 2013

Long story short, I'm trying to VNC from a Linux laptop (client) to an
OSX desktop (server). Graphically, no problem, other than the fact I
need a bigger monitor on the client side.

But I'm not getting any sound on the client end. I tried a couple
different software clients and two different hardware clients. Then I
RTFM and realized VNC itself doesn't support sound. Tried a client that
claimed to have some kind of built-in support (via ssh?), but that
didn't work either.

As I'm typing this, I'm realizing that anything a smart client wants to
do would have to be supported by the server sending it, which OSX
probably isn't.

Has anyone else done this?