Teaching little kids to program: via board games

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at geekspace.com
Wed Sep 25 19:35:41 EDT 2013

Curt Howland <Howland at priss.com> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 25, 2013 at 8:59 AM, David Rysdam <david at rysdam.org> wrote:
> > Awesome. Not so much "sneaky" as separating computers from computer
> > science.

Well, that's the `sneaky' part, isn't it? ;)

> Teaching problem solving, iteration, algorithms, and such, does not
> require a computer.

Some favourite quotes:

    "Computer Science is no more about computers
     than astronomy is about telescopes."
    <https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Computer_science#Disputed>

    "Computer Science is embarassed by the computer."
    <http://www.cs.yale.edu/homes/perlis-alan/quotes.html>

    "Programming is just another name for the lost art of thinking."
    <http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/matthias/programming.html>

> I keep being told that "real programmers" don't focus on the language,
> but spend the real time correcting the steps and data structures, and
> then implement it in any language handy.

Excepting, perhaps (I'm told), COBOL.
<http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs655/readings/ewd498.html>

--
"'tis an ill wind that blows no minds."