"Attention, graying geeks: Send me your BASIC memories, as the language turns 50" -- David Brooks

Michael ODonnell mod.gnhlug at b0rken.com
Fri Apr 11 11:56:24 EDT 2014

I worked at Data Precision (Analogic) and one of our guys wrote a
BASIC interpreter (in 68000 assembler!) for incorporation into a
product (D6000 Waveform Analyzer) as embedded code.  I can't remember
whether it was Kemeny or Kurtz but one of them visited circa 1982
to give it a test drive and our guy felt honored at receiving such
attention.  One thing that sticks in my mind was how he tried to trip
up the interpreter to see if it properly discriminated stuff like:

   FOR K = S TO P

...from this:

   FORK = STOP