Drill Press Local to Nashua/Amherst/Milford needed

David Rysdam david at rysdam.org
Tue Dec 16 19:48:34 EST 2014

"maddog at li.org" <jonhall80 at comcast.net> writes:
> There are two parts to it. One part is a set of four "shelves" (2'
> long and 8" wide) of acrylic (not PVC), each shelf is 1/4" thick and
> has a covering of thin plastic clinging to protect it from scratching,
> not paper. My thoughts on these are to clamp them together and drill
> four 1/4" holes (one in each corner, centered about 3/4 inch in from
> the edges).

>From the clamping together, I guess this isn't into the edge but into
the "flat". That's pretty doable.

> The three other boards are smaller and thinner and will need about
> fourteen holes of three different sizes drilled in them. For those I
> will have a paper template that can be glued to the board, marking the
> holes to be drilled.

This also doesn't sound too hard.

> I will get all the drill bits necessary for this, I just need the
> drill press for a little while, and I welcome any expertise that comes
> along with it.

You can use mine if you want. My drill press has a speed chart and it
actually calls for a *high* speed for acrylic. If high speed really is
the thing, we could also do this on my small mill. You probably don't
need the precision, but having the handwheels is a lot more convenient
than swinging the drill press table around.

If you have scraps, definite bring some to experiment with. I've got
plenty of clamps