Fifo buffer question

Curt Howland Howland at Priss.com
Thu Feb 6 14:34:34 EST 2014

Good afternoon.

I have a background process running from which I would like, from time
to time, to check the console output. I do not want to dedicate a
console window to it, and since I start it from a script the console
output is usually just lost to the akashic ethers.

I've not played with fifo buffers, but I'm wondering. Could I start
the process with " > fifo-buffer.txt" and then when I want to check
the output, run a "tail -f fifo-buffer.txt" for a few minutes?

Since this is not a usual background process with log rotation and
such, I don't want to fill my disk with a text file dump. But it would
be nice to check in and make sure it's running without killing it and
restarting.

Suggestions?

--
The secret of happiness is freedom,