What are you doing for home NAS?

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Thu Jan 2 14:30:22 EST 2014

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 1:59 PM, Chris Linstid <clinstid at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been doing something similar to Tom for almost as long (around 10
> years). I started with a Linux server (Debian) with a pile of drives
> running ext2/3. I distributed my files by category across the drives
> (picture, movies, docs, source code, etc.). However, I got really tired of
> that a few years ago when ZFS started getting popular and I put together an
> OpenSolaris box with ZFS and pooled all of my drives together.
>
> The Solaris box was all sorts of fun because I originally did that with a
> PCI PATA software RAID card (specifically purchased because it had a driver
> for Solaris x86) and mismatched disks (250GB, a few 320GB, a few 160GB) but
> they will went together in the pool and actually worked reasonably well. I
> would have been ok with that, but just like Tom, I was trying to use this
> system as more than

Solaris doesn't have the device drivers, so you have to pick hardware
carefully.  FreeBSD is much better.  The good news is that Solaris uses
solid hardware that'll be well supported in Linux and other OSen.

> . Some day I'll get back to ZFS, especially now that it's in a stable
> state on Linux so I can have the best of both worlds.

The ZFS on Linux project distributes source to comply with the license
conflict and a build script.  apt-get install zfs works once the repo is
added.

Also, check out the OpenZFS group.  It's all the OpenSolaris, *BSD and ZFS
on Linux people collaborating on the future direction of ZFS and sharing
knowledge.  I think most development on ZFS is *not* at Oracle.  Solaris 11
will not be able to get the improvements and features added in a compatible
way.

If you are building a ZFS fileserver, you'll need 64 bits.  If you have < 4
GB RAM and/or 32 bits, I'd suggest using LVM/Ext3/4 instead.  And btrfs
when it's fully baked.

Oh, and I wish every command line UI was as easy to use as ZFS is.  It's
like Python to Perl one liners.