time for the annual Internet Speed Quest

Chris Linstid clinstid at gmail.com
Fri Jul 4 16:06:15 EDT 2014

As I understand it, third-party ISPs have to "rent" the lines they want to
provide service on from the owners of the lines. They must not have a deal
with FairPoint for your area. :(

I'm in Amherst and use Comcast. I love to hate Comcast, but to be honest, I
have had very few problems with them and I get 30 Mbps/5 Mbps for
advertised bandwidth and I actually get that bandwidth most of the time. My
latency is generally really low unless there's a strange route. My example
of that was when I worked at Dell in Nashua who used Verizon for their ISP
and I was routed down through NYC and then back up again. But even then, I
was getting ~80-90ms pings. Good enough for most things, but now that I
work at Dyn who is using Comcast for their ISP, I'm much happier. I
generally get sub-30ms pings. :)

So, I'm not sure if Milford has Comcast (pretty sure they do), but from a
technical standpoint I generally recommend them.

     - Chris