time for the annual Internet Speed Quest

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Sat Jul 5 12:44:27 EDT 2014

On 7/4/2014 9:52 PM, Chris Linstid wrote:
> No problems at all. I'm all Linux and OS X at home. No special software
> required.
>
> They definitely don't block port 22 for ssh. I'm pretty sure they block 25
> and maybe 80.

Port 25 is usually blocked. It comes & goes. I use DynDNS to bring in
email via an alternate port to our Linux email server.
Ports 80, 443, 143, 873 and 22 are all open. No problems with our
servers: web, IMAP, SSH, Rsync, Vonage, etc.
    (I have switched to running SSH on an alternate port just to cut down
     on the random probes, but not because of any blocking.)
I think some Windows ports are blocked, as they should be, if anyone cares.
Nothing else is blocked to my knowledge.

As much as I've heard complaints about them, Comcast has been fine for us,
and for most of our clients, for the last 15 years: reliable and fast.
Now that I finally got a DOCSIS 3 cable modem, I get 30/5 Mbps, 10 ms
ping to Boston.
On older cable modem, which I fished out of someone's trash :-), it was
12/3, if I recollect.
I don't use their DNS or email, however, I do send via their
authenticated SMTP from our Linux email server.
SMTP is limited to 50 recipients per email and throttles to about 30
emails per minute.
Emails faster than that just queue and go in a minute or so.
I only discovered the limits in testing, since they don't t affect me
normally.

Generally, I've been quite happy with their service.