time for the annual Internet Speed Quest

Chris Linstid clinstid at gmail.com
Sun Jul 6 16:04:37 EDT 2014

On Sun, Jul 6, 2014 at 1:14 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen <rozzin at geekspace.com>
wrote:

> I think FairPoint does have some service in NH that's analogous to FiOS,
> but I don't see any way to find out from their website how much it costs or
> whether it's even available in a given area. Their phone robot says to go
> check the website or call back during normal business hours.

It is actually FIOS. The lines were installed by Verizon, but only
partially lit up. When they sold their business in NH (and Maine?) to
FairPoint, FairPoint took it over and as far as I know, they have not
installed anything new (and have no plans to).  So, you either already have
it or you're not going to get it. I have a friend who lives in Hudson and
he has it. He says the speed is good, but their customer service is
terrible.

Where I am in Amherst, my only option is Comcast. I'm too far from a CO for
decent DSL speeds and I definitely don't have have FIOS available.