Modern Linux scanners

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Tue Jun 17 09:31:15 EDT 2014

I wanted to go paperless and bought a Fujitsu ScanSnap.  It is windows and
macintosh only as far as I can tell.

I created a Windows VM in VirtualBox on my server that I can rdesktop to.
FWIW, I have an old scanner that is Windows 95 only.  A Win 95 VM that has
no network/no updates can support that scanner forever despite not getting
drivers for new drivers for Win 8/9/10.  Used scanners can be worth looking
at.

However, if you are buy a new one, get one that works on linux :-)

I bought a USB to network device to put the scanner into VirtualBox across
the network (Silex SX3000).  Then I can put the scanner anywhere I have a
network drop.

I use a Raspberry Pi and rdesktop to the VM to do all my scanning.

The Silex has 2 USB ports and an LPR server.  I run a USB only printer on
one port and a USB hub with the scanner, thumbdrives or anything else USB.
I run agents on all the Windows and Macintoshes and that works well.  Linux
uses LPR to print, but cannot get to the USB part.

There are various software USB to network things out for Linux or Windows,
but i haven't seen anything cross platform.