DNS fun: forward for one domain?

M D L 41magnum at liberty.eprci.com
Sun Jun 22 10:08:32 EDT 2014

I see a couple of possible solutions to this.  The first is a zone transfer, but this might not work for you.  This would provide you a copy of the remote system's zone file on your system.  The remote system would need to allow this transfer (probably doesn't, remote admin would need to add your server to the allowed list).  Zone transfer entries are of a type slave in the named.conf file:

zone "example.local" IN {
     type slave;
     masters {2001:db8::1};
     file "example.local";
};

You would then need to reload the zone files (rndc reload), or restart the server.
http://www.microhowto.info/howto/configure_bind_as_a_slave_dns_server.html

Another option would be to tell bind to pass the request to another server.  Two methods of doing this are to forward (bind asks the other server to resolve; could fail if not recursive), or to create a stub (local bind server does the query):

zone "example.local" IN {
     type forward;
     forwarders {2001:db8::1};
};

zone "example.local" IN {
     type stub;
     masters {2001:db8::1};
     file "stub.example.local";
};
Again, you would need to reload zone files using rndc reload, or restart the server.