su: cannot set user id: Resource temporarily unavailable

Brian Chabot brian at brianchabot.org
Mon Mar 10 10:44:48 EDT 2014

THANK YOU!

I found the error.

Thanks to Ken for the strace idea, I looked through the resultant log
and found this line:

9519  read(8, "# Default limit for number of user's processes to
prevent\n# accidental fork bombs.\n# See rhbz #432903 for
reasoning.\n\n*          soft    nproc     1024\nroot       soft
nproc     unlimited\n", 4096) = 191

That didn't jive with /etc/security/limits.conf so it stood out in my
visual scan.

Looking up a few lines to see where it got that from I see:

9519  open("/etc/security/limits.d/90-nproc.conf", O_RDONLY) = 8

Ok, so /etc/security/limits.d/90-nproc.conf over-rules /etc/security/limits.conf

Good to know.

I raised the nproc limit and the su- worked.

Thanks again to all of you.

Brian
Brian Chabot