Home server hardware for Ubuntu 14.04?

Peter Petrakis peter.petrakis at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 16:14:55 EDT 2014

Henry,

I remember the HP uS were used to  create personal openstack clusters so I
know that works. Unless
you have some esoteric RAID card you're interested in anything you buy
should "just work"
out of the box. It's really desktops that benefit the most from
certification because the BIOS gets hardened
(well ACPI) so all those runtime features, especially suspend/resume, just
work.

If you're really just experimenting I suggest you pick up an EC2 account
with say an m3.medium
is just 0.070/hour. New accounts get 700 hrs of t1 micro for free.

You should also check out juju. You can deploy services locally using LXC
containers (instead of the cloud) and link them up,
no VX instructions extension required. A fast disk helps.

Hope that helps.

Peter /me worked for canonical for about 5 years