Home server hardware for Ubuntu 14.04?

M D L 41magnum at liberty.eprci.com
Sat Oct 4 18:38:20 EDT 2014

I've recently built a file server for home network.  I ended up
building from parts and based this on a Supermicro atom motherboard
(MBD-A1SAM-2550F-O).  Atom may be a bit slower than you want, but would seem to meet all of your other requirements.

 - Motherboard is passively cooled, so should be able to keep this quite.
 - Supports VT-x
 - Quad core 2.4GHz (no hyper threading though)
 - Supports up to 64GB of ram in 4x 16GB DDR3
 - Cost on motherboard with CPU is $250.  Would need to add case, PS, RAM and drives.  < $800 should be achievable.

Michael