obihai devices and google voice

Lloyd Kvam python at venix.com
Fri Sep 12 22:17:47 EDT 2014

I have written before about using an obihai device with google voice
(GV).  I do not mean to inundate you with marketing email.  However I
know there were others using obihai devices, so I thought this could be
of interest.

obihai had announced that their devices would cease working with google
voice as of May 15.  Not having a good alternative, I did nothing and
the device continued to work.

Yesterday I received a marketing email from obihai about new GV devices.
An internet search turned up:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8482.0
an announcement of a firmware update to use OAUTH for the GV connection.
I am assuming that this may be enough to keep the devices working
indefinitely.

WARNING
After the firmware update, the device could not longer handle calls.  I
did a factory reset on my Obi 110 as part of restoring service.  Other
than that inconvenience, the process was easy enough.  If you have
multiple VOIP lines or other complexities, proceed cautiously.  You may
have a lot more work restoring those configurations.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=8443.msg55493#msg55493
This post provides some additional background

--
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp