Off Topic: LED Light Bulbs

maddog@li.org jonhall80 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 8 18:22:10 EDT 2015

Hi,

A couple of months ago I mentioned a special that Phillips was doing with Home Depot,
having some LED light bulbs that were the equivalent of 60W (800 Lumens) for a price of $5 for two.

I was in Home Depot down by Pheasant Lane Mall and there was a display of these bulbs.  They are $5.97 each, but with
a "rebate" of $3 per bulb (up to three at a time), they come down to $2.97, which was close enough to the $2.50 each for me.

The bulbs are in the shape of a large bulb, but flattened, and they give light in a "360 degree" arc, not just a "floodling" pattern like some LED bulbs.  While these bulbs are able to be used with a dimmer, they are not recommended for a fully enclosed fixture.  There are other Phillips LED bulbs for that purpose, but they were not part of this promotion.

They use 10.5W of electricity, and if you use them for three hours a day at 11 cents per kilowatt hour they use $1.26 of electricity a year.  A 60W incandescent bulb will cost you about six times that, or about six dollars a year, so you pay for the bulb in much less than a year, particularly if you have little kids who tend to leave lights on.  I know none of you have that happen....

With the coupon I saved nine dollars on the bulbs.  I went back into the store for something else and got another three bulbs (with a second coupon) and so I saved 18 dollars, plus I am going to replace a couple of other bulbs that are low power, but just do not put out the lumens that these bulbs do.

Warmest regards,

md