gps navigation project?

Matt Minuti matt.minuti at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 15:29:03 EDT 2015

On Aug 25, 2015 11:25 AM, "David Rysdam" <david at rysdam.org> wrote:

> Tom Buskey <tom at buskey.name> writes:
> > Is this project going to be a stand alone GPS w/no internet like a
garmin
> > or something like google maps on a phone? That will drive some of your
> > design decisions.
> >
> > If it has internet access, will it use mobile wireless or wifi/ethernet?
> > Does it need to be usable in a car?
>
> I've been envisioning using it on a phone or tablet. Because I'm a
> cheapskate that doesn't pay much for data, it would need to be able to
> work offline. But the entire idea is that I'd put a GPX on there and it
> would only navigate me through that without changing the route (other
> than getting me back to the route if I stray from it), so that's not a
> big problem.
>
> Still, I've got some use cases that would involve data or wifi. For
> instance, creating my route at a hotel room (either on the phone or on a
> real comptuer and sending it to the phone), then navigating
> offline. That could work well with a tablet, which tend to have wifi but
> not mobile data in the lower end, anyway.

Sounds to me the target is offline, then. Can always add something to fetch
maps, but adding local offline processing ought to be harder.

If you go ahead with this, there's two features I feel like every GPS I've
used has lacked, though not from lack of data.
1. There's often an "avoid tolls" or "this route has tolls," but never
anything hinting at how much it will cost. A $1 toll is a lot nicer than a
$30 one.
2. "Find on the way" would be an amazing thing. Imagine, you ask for a
${DONUTSHOP} on the way from A to B, and it finds one that's minimally off
the planned route.

I'd think that the navigation end would be pretty easy. If you have current
location and heading (which could be this location minus previous), you
know which way the turns are, as you go along the path. Figuring out which
lane and all that is a lot harder.