gps navigation project?

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 16:13:57 EDT 2015

Interesting ideas.

>> 1. There's often an "avoid tolls" or "this route has tolls," but never
>> anything hinting at how much it will cost. A $1 toll is a lot nicer than a
>> $30 one.

Great idea.  Toll is dependent upon vehicle configuration (and
sometimes time of day). I don't recall OSM having that richness; if
they don't, can suggest it. I should check if they have a MAX
HEIGHT/VEHICLE TYPE restriction on STORROW DR and MERRIT PKWY. Router
has to have your vehicle height, axles, wheels, type to handle all
this.

>> 2. "Find on the way" would be an amazing thing. Imagine, you ask for a
>> ${DONUTSHOP} on the way from A to B, and it finds one that's minimally off
>> the planned route.

Indeed.  And this is the sort of thing that's most useful real-time
not planning.

> My 3yr old garmin will find stuff near destination or along route.  Not as
> easy as it should be though.

Oh ? Which one?   I like Garmins ... eTrex, iii+, 76c previously; 76csx now.

> My car has something else and I can avoid whole roads which is nice.

Nice

> Sometime you don't want to go north on 93 on Friday.  Rt 3 is less
> congested...

Rt 3 being less bad than anything is  scary ...

I just let it recalculate when i reject its advice; sometimes
switching from Quickest Route to Shorter Path gets it on-board with a
short-cut quicker. (Having Avoid U-Turns turned off helps, but that
doesn't stop it suggesting three rights.) If it gets really irksome, i
set it in boat/air "Off Road" range-and-bearing navigation mode until
i really want turns suggested.   :-)   Picking an intermediate
waypoint as first destination or setting a Route with a few waypoints
(good for a re-usable shortcut/detour) can help.

I've been using OSM routable maps in my Garmin 76csx. Quality is
getting better but there are still disconnected butt-splices in the
interstate. (The source Census TIGER data set was not designed for
routing, so connectivity is not its strong point. Mostly fixed but
periodically it suggests i detour up an exit just to get back on to
route around a mesh defect.)  Alas i can't fix them while driving ...

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1vux at gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/n1vux