gps navigation project?

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 17:26:09 EDT 2015

On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 4:53 PM, Tyson Sawyer <tyson at j3.org> wrote:
> but OsmAnd is probably a useful starting point.

I'd call it a starting point
​!

It's unclear to me how
"The application is available in both a free [7] and a paid version [8]
which works as a donation to the developer, unlocks the download limit for
offline maps,"
plus their  App store exception, would be GPLv3-compatible, but as it seems
it includes no GPL dependencies, it's not a violation of anyone's
license.   Even so, I have trouble thinking of "free" useless demos as
valid Freemium FLOSS distribution. Off-line maps is pretty basic function
here, and it's free data it's charging to access !
   Sure, the source is Free as in speech, but unless you have an unlocked
and rooted phone/tablet, you  may not be able load it even if you can build
it.
    (Not that $6 - or $8 with Contours add-on - is outrageous, it's pretty
decent value!,  but either in-app purchase or app-store purchase required
for what's really basic functionality - off-net maps - doesn't feel FLOSS,
it feels Bait and Switch when you find out downloading from free sources
OSM and Wikipedia are locked !   At least it gives me a choice of who leaks
my credit card to the hackers ... Maybe i should get a $20 VISA gift card
to use for AppStore credit so i don't care who has it.)

--
Bill Ricker
bill.n1vux at gmail.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/n1vux