gps navigation project?

David Rysdam david at rysdam.org
Wed Aug 26 12:24:20 EDT 2015

Tom Buskey <tom at buskey.name> writes:
> FWIW - has anyone worked on TCP over text messages?  If they can do it over
> carrier pigeons...

I've wondered about this. Another feature I'd like is to be able to
share my location with someone. But I don't necessarily want to upload
it to a server somewhere--this will inevitably be owned by someone else
(for certain values of phone owner). Real computers can talk directly to
each other over the internet, why can't portable media consumption
devices?

You could call or text, but the receiving end needs to be set up to not
ring/beep and to alert the relevant app. There are apps that can do
this, so it's not a huge problem.

I can even envision replacing the SMS app itself with a tcpd-like to
farm incoming requests out to whichever app was responsible for it.