What Language for a kid

Ric Werme ric at wermenh.com
Wed Dec 30 13:33:42 EST 2015

Alan Johnson wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 29, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Bill Freeman <ke1g.nh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I can't resist.  There is always lisp.  No indentation.  No semicolons.  Format it so that it makes sense to you.  Anyone approaching algebra will get the bonus of learning that parentheses must match.

> ​I will second the beauty of the simplicity of Lisp.  Unfortunately, I don't know of much in the way of practical application of Lisp outside AI researchers... back in my college days at least.  No ideal what AI folks use most commonly now.​

I think Bill was just kidding....  It takes a weird enough brain to think like
a computer, it takes an even weirder brain to think in Lisp.  OTOH, I've
never tried too hard.  It would be nice to write some real Elisp from time
to time.

PostScript is a Lisp variant.  It has some nice visual output.

Oh dear, I can't find my best (only?) PostScript program.  A .pdf variant is
at http://www.gpsy.com/gpsinfo/utmgrid.pdf but they didn't save the .ps
version.  (pdf2ps doesn't do what I hoped....)

I see the PostScript slide rule program is still around, see
http://www.sciencephotography.com/andy/postscript.htm

 -Ric