Help: HOWTO buy IP address blocks from ARIN?

Lloyd Kvam python at venix.com
Fri Jan 9 16:29:01 EST 2015

On Thu, 2015-01-08 at 17:26 -0500, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
> Anyone here ever been through the process of procuring an IP block
> from ARIN?

Actually from my upstream ISP (UUNET) many years ago.  I was requesting
a /21.  The requirements were essentially the same back then.

You're requesting 4K addresses.  They want to know that 1K will be used
right now and that at least 2K will be in use within a year.  If the
only way you can use up that number of addresses is by allocating one
thousand /30's they will turn you down.  They are basically looking for
individual addresses, but you can count the lost addresses from your
subnet scheme.

> I'm trying to interpret the requirements they give for an
> "end-user initial assignment", which are:
>
>     * provide data demonstrating at least a 25% utilization rate of the
>       requested block immediately upon assignment
>
>     * provide data demonstrating at least a 50% utilization rate of the
>       requested block within one year
>
> .. and maybe I'm just being dense, but it's not entirely obvious to me
> what "utilization rate" actually means here: do they mean "sub-blocks
> allocated to specific subnets with some-definition-of-minimal waste",
> or do they mean "individual addresses actually, specifically assigned"?
>

> I'm trying to rationalise a /20 block, because I can't seem to
> partition the space such that I end up with < 50% allocated immediately
> or < 75% allocated over the next year; but if I count up the actual
> nodes that I expect to exist on all of my subnets, those counts are
> definitely short of both the `25% utilization immediately' and
> `50% utilization within one year' figures.
>
> If I'm really supposed to be counting individual addresses
> and not summing subnet sizes, what am I likely to be doing wrong here?

It sounds like you want to have a fairly generously sized subnet for
each group, but the groups are too small to meet the utilization levels
(25%, growing to 50%).  If it is just a matter of a bit more time and
growth, I'd show them how you'll exceed 50% in 18 months (or whatever)
and hope for the best.  Otherwise you may need to reduce your request

I had not realized that ARIN was still distributing addresses.  I had
thought they had pretty much given them all out.

--
Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp