Virtual machine host provider recommendations

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 19:35:52 EDT 2015

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 4:50 PM, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
>> install a new
>> system, and transfer to there.  That is the quickest and easiest path,
>
> when you say 'new' do you mean 'current' as well?

  Yeah....  We need to upgrade at some point anyway.  This is as good
a time as any.

> Be prepared for config and module changes between major
> versions of every blasted package.

  Fortunately, our needs are fairly simple, and most of the software
we use tends to follow the traditional Unix philosophy (or are just
old).  We have very little stuff from the "redesign it with every
release" crowd.

  (It would be nice if someone were to attack the GNHLUG web site with
a sledgehammer and crowbar, but while we've had lots of people giving
advice from their armchairs, we've had almost nobody actually roll up
their sleeves and get dirty.)

>> and we do not have a lot of time.  Our deadline is JUL 31, roughly two
>> weeks from now.
>
> [and] nobody goes on summer vacation.  Vendor noted. >:|

  There's multiple reasons why I'm not real eager to stay.  That's one of them.

  Also: The current box needs a new disk.  It's an old SCSI SCA
system.  I'd rather not start hunting for hardware on eBay.

  Also: For what GNHLUG needs, a dedicated physical box is way overkill.

-- Ben