FYI: Comcast Metro ethernet to the home

Steven C. Peterson scp at mainstream.net
Fri Jul 17 16:37:31 EDT 2015

Auburn is a Comcast territory and is available if you ask, this is not a
publicly advertised service
You need to be within 3/4 a mile of a node or splice box if above ground
or 1/4 of a mile underground.

Quick note on the two options ( I did not know any one other then
fairpoint and comcast had fiber to the home in the state)

TDS is running a (G)PON network, this is still fiber and a great service
if you can get it. this uses an advanced version frame relay / ATM
network with your wave length sent to 32 to 64 terminals that then sort
out your data from the rest. this service is cheaper to provide as they
only need active equipment for 256 homes ( 1: 4 CWDM splitter, followed
by a 32 or 64 w DWDM splitter in the field)

Comcasts fiber service is Metro Ethernet, same ethernet we are all used
to delivered over single mode fiber. this is a packet switched system
with you and only you on a wave length between your site switch and the
head end switch. this is way more costly to deploy but more secure and
your able to provide much better SLA's.

Also no love lost on Comcast just happen to be very happy with the
service, at home and at my customer sites, the Enterprise division is
not the same old Comcast every one is used to dealing with.

> Matt Minuti <mailto:matt.minuti at gmail.com>
> July 17, 2015 at 15:53via Postbox
> <https://www.postbox-inc.com/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=sumlink&utm_campaign=reach>
>
> If only someone offered such nice service in auburn... I'm still on
> 6/1 for $60...

> July 16, 2015 at 19:01via Postbox
> <https://www.postbox-inc.com/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=sumlink&utm_campaign=reach>
> Not sure where your local area is, but many towns served by the
> telecom TDS have, or will soon have, TDSFiber available. For plain old
> residential service at $49+fees, they are offering 100Mbps up to 1
> Gbps, triple bundles and some discounts during the rollout. A local
> billboard claims it's the fastest residential service in the country,
> though I'm not sure if that discounter Google Fiber or had some
> disclaimer in fine print.
>
> https://www.tdsfiber.com/where/
>

> On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 6:16 PM, Steven C. Peterson
> <scp at mainstream.net <mailto:scp at mainstream.net>> wrote:
>

> --
> Ted Roche
> Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
> http://www.tedroche.com
> July 16, 2015 at 18:16via Postbox
> <https://www.postbox-inc.com/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=sumlink&utm_campaign=reach>
> As an fyi for any one who wants major bandwidth at home Comcast has in
> our area a Metro Ethernet service for residences
> 505/125mb.
>
> New Hampshire was the pilot test for the 1gb and 2gb services they are
> rolling out down south. They have told all of the new England beta
> tests that they will be moved to 2gb service this fall
>
>  I have been on it since January and it is fantastic, catches $299 per
> month + tax and lease (a cienea metro e switch) 3 year contract. and a
> $250 installation fee
>
> Need to be with in an arbitrary distance of a Comcast splice or node (
> they base this on the cost to get the 12 fiber single mode run into
> your home)
>
> This is the same service and network they sell to enterprise customers.
> they include block of 5 IPv4 and a /48 IPv6 static with the service fee

Steven C. Peterson
Mainstream Technology Group
scp at mainstream.net
Office: (603)966-4607 x 2409