erratic fairpoint dsl? [was Re: FYI: Comcast...]

Tom Buskey tom at buskey.name
Mon Jul 20 09:13:08 EDT 2015

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 10:32 PM, Lloyd Kvam <python at venix.com> wrote:

> I kept a browser window focused on the Comtrend DSL status page.
>
> My router is a Netgear 3800 running cerowrt.  I had it log to my server
> so that I'd have a history of events.  The pppd messages in syslog
> showed the ups and downs along with the authentication attempts:
>
> Jun 18 08:04:20 cerowrt.local pppd[27338]: Plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded.
> Jun 18 08:04:20 cerowrt.local pppd[27338]: RP-PPPoE plugin version 3.8p
> compiled against pppd 2.4.6
> Jun 18 08:04:20 cerowrt.local pppd[27338]: pppd 2.4.6 started by root, uid
> 0
> Jun 18 08:04:35 cerowrt.local pppd[27338]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
> Jun 18 08:04:35 cerowrt.local pppd[27338]: Unable to complete PPPoE
> Discovery
> Jun 18 08:04:35 cerowrt.local pppd[27338]: Exit.
> (repeats ad infinitum along with other stuff I snipped)
>
> This would happen even when the DSL modem reported a good connection.
> Tech support insisted on focusing on my DSL line, but it's only about a
> hundred yards to the SLIC (roadside interface cabinet) and, of course,
> the DSL modem was reporting a good DSL connection.  Tech support had no
> interest in my logs.

This sounds familiar.  When I 1st had the chance to get a cable modem with
a company that later got bought by Comcast, the solution to any problem was
"the DHCP server".

They found "the fix" and it's the solution to whatever your problem is.
They don't want to hear any details.

They're probably getting a lot more calls than normal.  One of the early
ones in this bunch was a line at the customer site.  So that's the fix for
*all* of them :-(  And that's the current script they're going to follow
until they're forced to do something else.

I'd start by asking for a manager and go up the chain until someone will
investigate the root cause.