Google thinks GNHLUG is spam now

Ben Scott dragonhawk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 12:49:59 EDT 2015

I accidentally sent a previous reply to the wrong address, which
resulted in a thread getting copied to -discuss mid-thread.  Sorr for
the confusion.  But, since we're here:

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 12:07 PM, Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> wrote:
> I suspect Gmail is objecting to receiving mail with sender=gmail.com from outside.

  I've found that messages sent from non-Google systems, using a
non-Google address, to a GNHLUG address, on the GNHLUG server (not
hosted with Google), which are then relayed to a @gmail.com address,
are getting tagged with a "Spam" label in Gmail.  The originating
domains do *not* have SPF records.

  So it's not that we're claiming to be Google.  Not just that, anyway.

  My guess for most likely possibility is our new host gave us an IP
address that had previously been a source of abuse.  That is a common
problem with the near-instant-provisioning available these days.  That
would explain why everything was fine until we changed servers.

  Possibly contributing is the fact that we are relaying mail for a
domain not us.  (That is, mail comes from @example.com, goes through a
server at gnhlug.org, and is then given to @gmail.com.)  Google has no
way of knowing the mail we are claiming is from example.com is legit.

  I don't think it's just the latter, as things have been fine this
way for years.  But it's possible the relaying is contributing to a
spam score, and the IP address change also increased that score, and
in total, we've crossed a threshold.

-- Ben