[Discuss] Govt Source Code Policy

Greg Rundlett (freephile) greg at freephile.com
Thu Apr 7 15:07:05 EDT 2016

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 6:15 PM, John Hall <johnhall2.0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> https://www.usa.gov/government-works
> It would be great to hear from an IP lawyer on this.

I am not a lawyer, but I've been educating myself about patent, trademark
and copyright legislation and practice for a long time; specifically as it
relates to the GPL.  I wish there were good IP attorneys contributing to
this forum because it's not my day job.  But, I've got a list of lawyers
related to GPL work at
https://freephile.org/wiki/Free_Software_Supporters#Lawyers  Additions
welcome.

All licenses are attached through copyright laws and federal government
> works cannot have a copyright so can not be released under a license. There
> are literally no restrictions except those noted at the above link.

In general, the public domain part is combined with the GPL part. e.g.
https://github.com/WhiteHouse/petitions