Weird keyboard problems....

Mark Komarinski mkomarinski at wayga.org
Sun Feb 7 07:32:08 EST 2016

You can isolate it by plugging in a USB keyboard and seeing if it still happens.  My guess is you're correct that it's a mechanical problem with the keyboard.
Depending on the laptop model you have, purchasing a new one probably won't cost much (the ones I got were under $20) and replacing it is usually easy.  YouTube will likely have a video covering it.
If you want to clean it I'd recommend removing the keyboard and using rubbing alcohol or distilled water. I get a box of alcohol pads from CVS and it's very convenient for occasional cleaning.
There's also a putty you can buy called Cyber Clean that you can press into the keyboard and gets into crevasse and gets dirt and gunk out.  Probably won't help in this case but it's good stuff to have around.
YMMV
-Mark