Boot-to-CLI distro?

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Wed Feb 17 14:00:05 EST 2016

On 2016-02-17 13:49, Brian Chabot wrote:

> In GRUB, boot to init 1, single user mode.'

Which is great. If you catch it. And if it doesn't override you (as some
live install disks I've seen, do). Hell -- I'd be happy with the "rw
init=/bin/bash" bit for all I need, but even that, for example, isn't
cutting the mustard on one server I've got. I guess I could spin my own,
but I figured someone out there probably had a
stick-it-in-and-boot-to-CLI-no-interaction-needed option in their back
pocket.

-Ken

> Brian Chabot
>
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Ken D'Ambrosio <ken at jots.org> wrote:
>
>> Hey, all. Many's the time I just want to go and fix something stupid --
>> maybe wipe a disk, or edit a file -- and all I want is to be able to
>> stick in a USB stick and wind up at said CLI. But most distros these
>> days are GUI-based. And Ubuntu Server (say) boots to install, period,
>> which is an
>> extremely-stripped-down-to-the-point-of-useless-for-anything-other-than-install
>> CLI.
>>
>> Any middle ground someone could recommend?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> -Ken

Links:
------