Boot-to-CLI distro?

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Thu Feb 18 10:04:44 EST 2016

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I tried to use the recommended
SystemRescueCD, but the download was s-l-o-w... (for all I know, was my
fault, but I didn't have 2+ hours to wait for it). Found this while
googling for similar things: https://en.altlinux.org/Rescue [5] . Half
the size, and downloaded in substantially less time (like, 15 minutes).
Boots straight to console, but also has other options (e.g., memtest,
rEFInd), and the console's a Debian variant, so I can apt-get to my
heart's content.

-Ken

On 2016-02-17 14:45, Shawn O'Shea wrote:

> +1 for system rescue cd.
>
> As far as other handy utility distros. If I'm just resizing a partition, I'll do gparted live (Gui but goes straight to gparted partition editor) and if imaging (backup/restore) then Clonezilla Live.
>
> http://gparted.org/livecd.php [1]
> http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live.php [2]
>
> -Shawn
> On Feb 17, 2016 2:15 PM, "Kyle Smith" <askreet at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Check out SystemRescueCD[1], which I'm sure can be burned to a USB drive. Boots to a shell and comes with a ton of recovery tools and scripts to assist in getting a broken system operable.
>
> - Kyle
> [1]: https://www.system-rescue-cd.org/SystemRescueCd_Homepage [3]
>
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 2:04 PM Ken D'Ambrosio <ken at jots.org> wrote:
>
> On 2016-02-17 13:49, Brian Chabot wrote:
> In GRUB, boot to init 1, single user mode.'
>
> Which is great. If you catch it. And if it doesn't override you (as some live install disks I've seen, do). Hell -- I'd be happy with the "rw init=/bin/bash" bit for all I need, but even that, for example, isn't cutting the mustard on one server I've got. I guess I could spin my own, but I figured someone out there probably had a stick-it-in-and-boot-to-CLI-no-interaction-needed option in their back pocket.
>
> -Ken
>
> Brian Chabot
>
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 1:46 PM, Ken D'Ambrosio <ken at jots.org> wrote:
> Hey, all. Many's the time I just want to go and fix something stupid --
> maybe wipe a disk, or edit a file -- and all I want is to be able to
> stick in a USB stick and wind up at said CLI. But most distros these
> days are GUI-based. And Ubuntu Server (say) boots to install, period,
> which is an
> extremely-stripped-down-to-the-point-of-useless-for-anything-other-than-install
> CLI.
>
> Any middle ground someone could recommend?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Ken

Links:
------