Motherboardectomy: how to un-bond the CPU's heatsink?

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at hackerposse.com
Thu Jul 7 22:03:44 EDT 2016

Bought a nice CPU a while back, with a cheap motherboard to put it onto
until I found something better (in retrospect, that was probably silly...).

Finally found a better motherboard, and am now reminde that
(a) now I need to get the heatsink off of the CPU in order
to transfer the CPU between the ZIF sockets (since the socket lever
is covered by the heatsink), and (b) baked thermal paste is
a remarkably good adhesive.

Somewhat surprisingly..., the CPU is out of the original socket
at this point--it popped out while I was fiddling with the heatsink.
I'm going on the assumption that nothing got broken in the process,
for the time being....

Any suggestions on what the right course of action is, here?

Wikihow advises to soak the CPU+heatsink assembly in isopropanol
and then slicing them apart with dental floss.....