Motherboardectomy: how to un-bond the CPU's heatsink?

dennis dennis at straffin.net
Thu Jul 7 22:42:37 EDT 2016

Modern cpus all have heat shields on them so I'd be more worried about he pins than the die.  Have you tried rotating the cpu/heatsink in opposite directions (like you were unscrewing it)?  That's usually all i've had to do to get them unstuck, even when I've managed to pull the cpu out of the locked zif socket.

-Dennis

---- On Thu, 07 Jul 2016 22:30:35 -0400 Star <nhstar at gmail.com>wrote ----

I've used the dental-floss trick, well, actually, thin fishing line.  It worked well enough without the alcohol, it was just a slow, steady process.