Motherboardectomy: how to un-bond the CPU's heatsink?

Matt Minuti matt.minuti at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 22:44:27 EDT 2016

Apply low, gentle heat? The viscosity of most thermal paste/pads changes a
lot with temperature. I'd take a hairdryer on low and heat up the heatsink,
slowly, occasionally attempting to twist the cpu off by spinning it about
the axis perpendicular to the base of the heatsink. Right-hand rule of chip
removal, I guess?

On Thu, Jul 7, 2016 at 10:03 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen <rozzin at hackerposse.com