Mouse event problems

Joshua Judson Rosen rozzin at hackerposse.com
Wed Mar 30 14:06:06 EDT 2016

On 03/30/2016 12:25 PM, Charlie Goodwin wrote:
> Had a desktop computer with bizarre pointer behavior.  The pointer would jiggle at a frantic rate and would keep returning to the same place - off center - on the screen.  The computer was utterly unmanageable.  After heroic efforts I got a reasonably clean shutdown.
>
> Dual boot, Mint and W8.
>
> Being a newbie at the moment I brought it to a repair shop who told
> me that Linux had attacked the Windows partition. I paid them for
> their "diagnosis" and called another shop who were similarly baffled,
> but asked one crucial question. "Are there any other USB devices
> attached normally?" I started laughing, because I remembered that I
> had - but had not been using - a touchscreen. The connector must have
> been loose, producing a spurious signal, causing the manic pointer.
>
> I was considerably happier paying the second fellow.

I do like the idea of the OSes *attacking* each other, though.

"Oh, I thought it was the Windows 8 *beta*--turns out I was
 running the *betta* releases of both OSes, and so trying
 to keep two of them in the same fishbowl proved fatal...."

(Interestingly, a web-search for "siamese fighting linux"
 yields *no hits*! Maybe I'll start a project and call it that...)