Traffic shaping.

Ken D'Ambrosio ken at jots.org
Tue Jan 10 13:28:14 EST 2017

Hey, all.  I've got an OpenVPN network talking to a server at a remote
site over the corporate WAN.  (Reasons for this are complex, and I won't
bore you with them, but please trust me that this setup was required
"because IT.")  Anyway, I'd like to throttle the bandwidth going both
ways.  Unfortunately, OpenVPN only throttles on the client side going
one way, and not at all on the server side.  I'm trying to use
"wondershaper", but it's failing miserably; if I set it to send at 4000
kpbs, it runs at 4000 kbps.  If I set it to throttle at 40000, my
traffic suddenly jumps to 128000 kbps.

"That's not right."

Can someone give me the magic incantation for throttling egress on tun0?
  I've tried to pull from The Google, and have had spotty success (thus,
the reason I'm trying wondershaper).

Thanks,

-Ken